We take note of the Third National Report of UPR of India and would like to make the following observations and recommendations:
- The people of Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir are demanding the realization of their inalienable right to self-determination, as has been guaranteed to them by the UN Security Council in its resolutions on the Jammu and Kashmir
- While in persistent violation and non-compliance of the UN resolutions, India has sought to suppress the voice of the Kashmiri people through occupation, terror and oppression, involving use of force and grave and systematic violations of human rights and international humanitarian law in the occupied territory.
- India must immediately stop its atrocities and violations of human rights against the Kashmiri people, and allow them to exercise their right to self-determination through a free and fair plebiscite in accordance with the UNSC resolutions.
- It should repeal the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) and Public Safety Act, and take credible actions to end the prevailing culture of impunity in the IOK. It is urged to put an end to all curbs on freedom of expression and association, immediately ban the use of pellet guns and hold accountable those responsible for use of lethal force against unarmed civilians in IOK.
- India should provide unhindered access to UN and other international organizations, and accede to the call of the High Commissioner for Human Rights to allow an OHCHR fact-finding mission to IOK to investigate and report on the human rights situation there.
- Indian Government should take visible policy and other measures to ensure the freedom of religion and belief, and address the alarming trend of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance including mob violence committed, incited and advocated by right wing parties and affiliated extremist organizations against religious minorities and others particularly Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and Dalits.
I thank you.