Permanent Mission of Pakistan to the United Nations
Right of Reply – Agenda Item-8
42nd Session of the Human Rights Council
23 September 2019
We are making this right of reply in response to India’s Right of Reply.
Regrettably, India continues to unashamedly justify the violation of the human rights of Kashmiris. This is the same country which attacked the High Commissioner, her Office, as well as Special Procedures. India should stop spreading disinformation at the Council, as its lies are further damaging its credibility. Jammu and Kashmir was and still is a UN recognized disputed territory, whose final disposition is to be decided in accordance with the UN Security Council Resolutions through a UN supervised plebiscite.
- In today’s India, hate crimes are encouraged at the highest political level and implemented by the people in the street. This is done by mainstream neo-fascist political party that claims the supremacy of Hindutva. It consistently fails to bring to account those who indulge in cow vigilantism, mob lynching and forced conversions. The crimes committed by India in the Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir for over 70 years as well as the 50 days of curfew are enough to debunk India’s claim of a normal state. It is a sham democracy, exercising racial terror which is systematic, egregious and violent.
- Let us apprise the Council of what all minorities are facing in India:
- S. Commission on International Religious Freedom condemned what it called the Indian government’s “encouragement of mob violence against religious minorities.”
- Nine of the 29 Indian states have laws restricting religious conversion and violators especially missionaries are subjected to prison sentences.
- In its World Report covering 2018, Human Rights Watch said that the government failed to “prevent or credibly investigate” mob attacks on religious minorities, marginalized communities and actually BJP officials supported them publically.
- The Religious Liberty Commission of the Evangelical Fellowship of India (EFI-RLC) documented an alarming number of 325 cases of violence and attacks against Christians and churches during 2018.
- What Indian government has done in Assam that has shocked the world. By excluding 1.9 million Bengalis from citizens list, India has dehumanized an entire group of people. Is there any protection for the vulnerable in India?
- Violence and hate crimes have become the new normal in India, so much so that the country has been called Lynchistan.
- Instead of resorting to jingoistic rhetoric, it is high time that India does self-reflection and course correction.
I thank you.