Permanent Mission of Pakistan to the United Nations
Right of Reply – Agenda Item-5
42nd Session of the Human Rights Council
19 September 2019
We are making this right of reply in response to India’s right of reply.
- India continues with its outright lies against my country. No matter how much wishful thinking India does, Jammu and Kashmir will remain a UN recognized dispute, whose final disposition is to be decided by a UN supervised plebiscite. We did not want to delve into India’s horrific human rights record in the rest of the country but we are left with no choice but to do so, in order to make the Council understand that the repression in Kashmir is part of a mindset. A mindset based on hate. A fascist mindset.
- The vulnerable groups especially minorities and women are not safe in India. As per figures of the India’s own National Crime Records Bureau, more than 35,000 incidents of rape had occurred in justthree years in India and almost 93 rapes were committed in the country each day. According to Amnesty International around 218 rapes were registered in India in 2018 alone, making it quote “rape capital of the world” Unquote. According to the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs, a 9 percent increase in incidents of religious violence has taken place in last 3 years. Churches are regularly targeted by Hindu nationalists resulting in disrupted worship services and the arrest or detention of pastors and Christians.
- The current Indian government is the product of the militant, hate driven ideological parent known as Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) which commits hate crimesagainst minorities. This is the recipe for destruction. No wonder freedom movements are in full swing in 13 Indian states. In today’s India, killing minorities and inciting hatred against them is a merit for those aspiring a political office. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister is one such example. In India, a parliamentarian is made Minister for supporting rape of minor girl AsifaBano in a temple in Jammu.Over 40% of lawmakers in India’s Parliament face criminal charges. BJP leadership was found to be directly involved in the Gujarat massacre of 2002.
- What Indian government is doing in Assam has shocked the world. By excluding 1.9 million Bengalisfrom citizens list, India has dehumanized an entire group of people. UN High Commissioner and Special Procedures have also expressed their serious concerns on discrimination and persecution being faced by Bengalis in Assam. Is there any protection of the vulnerable in India?
- The Supreme Court of India is releasing rapist and mass killers like BabuBajrangi and Colonel Prasad Shrikant, the main accused of Samjhota Express blast. The lynchers of Pehlu Khan who had confessed to their crimes, were released by the Indian judiciary. It speaks volumes of the sham Indian democracy. There is no institution in India to protect the weak, especially if they belong to a minority community.
- Another disinformation out of plethora of Indian lies was regarding the situation in Azad Jammu and Kashmir. The people in Azad Jammu and Kashmir are living in harmony and peace with their human rights being respected by the State institutions. Pakistan has introduced a very liberal visa policy and anyone can visit AJK. This is in sharp contrast to the Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir which has been converted in a concentration camp, as pointed out in the OHCHR Kashmir reports, Special Procedures, media and civil society.
- I would end in the words of Ms. Shehla Rashid, a human rights defender from Indian Occupied Jammu & Kashmir. She says and I quote “if your heart does not ache for the Kashmiris even after 45-day gag, your heart is not in the right place”.We hope that India finishes its hate frenzy and do course correction of its dangerous trajectory.
I thank you.