We deliver this statement on behalf of the OIC.
- OIC reiterates that all human rights are interdependent and indivisible and must be treaty equally. There need to be equal on emphasis given to economic, social and cultural rights especially right to development. We consider that through concerted efforts of the international community for poverty alleviation, we can achieve inclusive sustainable development having a direct impact on the realization of all human rights.
- OIC is concerned about the rising populism and narrow nationalism which is being perpetrated by leadership of mainstream political parties in a number of democratic countries. It necessitates to counter narratives based on ‘fear of the other’ to be countered both offline and online and save our future generations from falling a pray to extremism and hatred.
- Climate Change is one of biggest challenges being faced by the world today with its multifaceted impacts on all the spheres of life including full enjoyment of human rights. It is necessary to support the efforts of developing countries for mitigation, adoption and disaster risk reduction through international financial and technical support as outlined in the Paris agreement.
- This Council must remain seized of challenges posed by refugees and IDPs. Protracted conflict situations leading to outflow of refugees need to be addressed on priority. The top refugee hosting countries are OIC members.
- OIC is also seriously concerned regarding the contemporary threats to international peace and security, which have a direct impact on the promotion and protection of all human rights. The settlement of long standing international disputes like Kashmir and Nagorno-Karabakh is essential to mitigate cross cutting negative implications for international peace and security as well as human rights. The plight of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar is of serious concern to OIC as well. The international community must work together through cooperation and constructive dialogue for addressing these issues.
I thankyou Mr. President.