On behalf of the OIC, I thank the High Commissioner for her report and the oral update.
- The OIC welcomesthe High Commissioner’s continued attention to the root causes of global human rights challenges, such as inequalities, deteriorating democratic values, ongoing and protracted conflicts, forceful displacement of millions of people, and racial and other forms of discrimination.
- The OIC countries are concerned that racial and religious prejudice are fanned by political leaders in certain regions. This issue has generally been responded by a nervous silence, allowing bigotry and prejudice to become entrenched in mainstream national policies on the pretext of counter-terrorism and security threats. We request the High Commissioner to continue to pay attention to such trends.
- Human rights violations ofthe people suffering longstanding violentdisputes and conflicts likePalestine, Myanmar,Jammu and Kashmir, Nagorno-Karabakhwarrant focused attention. The OIC urges the High Commissioner to continue to pay due attention to thesesituations.
- Grave violations of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT) continue to occur each day with impunity. Uninterupted occupation and colonization, going on for more than 50 years in OPT, is gravest violation of human rights. Failure to report these violations is another green light to Israel to continue acting above the law with complete impunity.
- In this regard, the OIC hopes that the OHCHR will build on the important work done in the past and advocate measures that not only address the plight of the people but also ensure peaceful political settlement.
- Ongoing armed conflicts and humanitarian crises have shown little signs of settlement.As all the leading refugee hosting countries happen to be OIC Member States, the OIC countries are deeply concerned at the refugee and IDP situations caused by such cinflicts.Refugee hosting OIC Statesare facing incalculable demographic pressures, with long term social and economic consequences.
- The OIC expresses its deep concern at the prevailing Islamophobia,xenophobia, racism, religious prejudice and ethnic hatred. Regretably, populist policital leadership fans such hatred and intolerance. Systemic ethnic cleansing and deprivation of citizenship rights to certain ethnic minorities particularly Muslims, and discriminatory immigration policies targeting the followers of a certain faith or nationality are serious violations of fundamental human rights. Such policies must end.
- The OIC reiterates the importance of brining more transparency in the work of the OHCHR and ensuring that its staff composition is geographically more diverse, balanced and promotes employment of more women in decision making positions.
- The OIC believes in objective, fair and even handed discourse to ensure the credibility of global human rights agenda, through constructive dialogue and cooperation. We must strive to foster an environment of mutual respect and understanding to effectively address contemporary human rights challenges.
I thank you.