The OIC reiterates that work of the Special Procedures of Human Rights Council and treaty bodies should always be guided by the principles of universality, objectivity, impartiality, constructive cooperation, non-selectivity and non-politicization. All human rights must be treated on equal basis.
- The OIC considers that equitable distribution of financial and human resources is critical for effective and unbiased discharge of the mandates of the Special Procedures. The need for full transparency in the funding of the special procedures was also underscored in UNGA Resolution 65/281 that reviewed the functioning of the Human Rights Council.
- The Special Procedures should conduct their work in accordance with the Code of Conduct for Special Procedures. The reports of the Special Procedures should be balanced and take into account the perspectives of governments, national circumstances and existing challenges of member states. Regrettably, this has not been the case in many reports.
- The Special Rapporteurs while performing their duties should strictly follow their mandates. On the contrary we are witnessing the opposite. This practice diminishes the trust and harms the working of the Special Procedures.
- While considering information from various sources, the Special Procedures must follow an objective approach of looking at the credibility, reliability and transparency of the source of information. The information must be cross-checked to the best extent possible. If any Special Procedure acts or speaks on the basis of unchecked reports and inaccurate information, then that mandate holder is hurting the cause of promotion and protection of human rights.
- We urge the Special Procedures Mandate Holders to put emphasis on the pernicious impact of anti-Muslim discourse on the rights of the vulnerable segments of society especially women, children and people with disabilities in their mandates.
- Positive engagement and constructive dialogue is the only way forward. We have to work together in our respective domains following the Institutional Building Package in true letter and spirit to ensure the promotion and protection of all human rights including right to development.
I thank you Mr. President.