We thank the High Commissioner for his report.
- Pakistan shares the concern of the High Commissioner on continuing conflicts and crises across the global with serious human rights and humanitarian consequences. This Council and OHCHR must advocate and work towards permanent and peaceful settlement of such conflicts, thereby easing human rights and humanitarian challenges.
- The High Commissioner has drawn our attention to the plight of refugees and migrants. Over last four decades, Pakistan has hosted the highest number of refugees accounting for the most protracted refugee situation since Second World War. Assistance to refugee hosting countries must be enhanced.
- The High Commissioner has rightly pointed out at growing incidents of xenophobia and racial hatred, particularly against migrants and Islam. The political rhetoric feeding such sentiments in Western societies must be checked.
- In his last report, the High Commissioner raised his concerns on the dire situation in Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IoK). The plight of Kashmiri people has only increased since then. Just three days ago, four innocent Kashmiri civilians were killed by Indian Security Forces in district Shopian in Occupied Kashmir. Later, Indian forces opened indiscriminate fire at funeral procession of the slained civilians.
- We share the concern of the High Commissioner on India’s denial of access to OHCHR’s Fact Finding Team to Jammu and Kashmir. This is a desperate attempt to hide atrocities committed by India in the most militarized zone of the world. India must end the impunity enjoyed by its security forces, must stop killing innocent civilians and allow unfettered access to OHCHR in IoK. OHCHR must not falter in documenting human rights abuses by India and recognize that root of the problem is illegal occupation of Jammu and Kashmir.
- We call upon this Council and the wider international community to continue its support to Kashmiri people and urge India to end its illegal occupation and resolve the Kashmir despite in accordance with wishes of Kashmiri people as laid down in numerous Security Council resolutions.