On behalf of the OIC, I thank the High Commissioner for his report and the interactive dialogue.
- We, in the OIC, are deeply concerned that ongoing conflicts and humanitarian crises have compounded in the last one year. Armed interventions and unsettled disputes continue to jeopardize peace and security with resulting human rights and humanitarian challenges.
- Last one year recorded massive human displacements as 65 million people were compelled to leave homes including 22.5 million refugees of whom half are children. Out of top 15 refugees-hosting countries, 10 are OIC Member States. These OIC Member States are facing incalculable demographic pressures, with long term social and economic consequences. The international community must work towards peaceful and long term settlement of conflicts and crises that lead to refugee outflow.
- The OIC shares the concerns on xenophobia, racism, religion prejudice and ethnic hatred. The developed world must monitor the tendency of fanning hatred and intolerance through a politically expedient populist narrative.
- We take note with appreciation the UN Secretary General and the High Commissioner for Human Rights in their advocacy for the rights of migrants. Migrants must not be labelled as “criminal invading hordes” by unscrupulous politicians in the Western societies.
- We believe that it is important to foster an environment of mutual respect and understanding to effectively address numerous human rights situations brought before the Council.
- Systemic deprivation of citizenship rights to certain ethnic minorities particularly Muslim and discriminatory immigration policies targeting the followers of certain faith are serious violation of fundamental human rights. Such policies feed the extremist narrative on all sides and widen the fissures of misunderstanding among communities and countries.
- The OIC strongly believes in objectives, fair and even handed discourse to ensure the credibility of global human rights agenda through constructive dialogue. Such a discourse must feature in the work of OHCHR and in collective deliberation of this Council.