OIC Statement delivered by Ambassador Farukh Amil, Permanent Representative of Pakistan during the 27th Session of HRC on the Human Rights situation of Rohingya Muslims and other minorities in Rakhine State of Myanmar
We make this right of reply in response to India’s right of reply.
- India’s statement seeks to hide grave and well documented atrocities committed by its forces against unarmed Kashmiri civilians, including women and children. India continues to flout its international human rights obligations by unleashing reign of terror in Indian Occupied Kashmir and committing serious human rights violations within India and then the irony is that it acts as a victim.
- For the last seventy years, India has failed to subjugate Kashmiri people under its rule, who aspire for the right to self determination and Azadi from Indian rule.
- India’s failure in Jammu and Kashmir can neither be blamed on Pakistan, nor labelled as so-called “cross border terrorism”.
- India’s failure stems from its non-implementation of UN Security Council Resolutions that call for a plebiscite to ascertain wishes of the Kashmiri people.
- India has alienated Kashmiri people due to economic strangulation of the INDIAN OCCUPIED KASHMIR whose natural trade routes with Azad Kashmir and Pakistan are blocked by India. Demographic changes forced upon Kashmiris in the name of land grab for security forces or by relocation of displaced Indian people to Kashmir remains a major cause of concern.
- Another form of insidious destruction is taking place. Encouraged and financed, swarms of Hindu yatris are wantonly wrecking the delicate natural environmental balance of this beautiful region in the name of spurious pilgrimages. This is ecological and cultural rape in the name of Hindutva.
- Instead of boasting lofty words of democracy, civil society and media, India should understand what democratic values mean. Less than 5% people voted in the last farcical elections held in Indian Occupied Kashmir. The UN Security Council resolutions have clearly articulated that such elections are not a substitute of the plebiscite required to determine the future of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Democracies don’t cause mass blinding of children and women – a reference to pellet gun injuries due to Indian forces’ indiscriminate firing.
- Continuous curfews, attacks on ambulances, harassment of doctors and patients, killing of more than 200 innocents and injuring of 8,000 civilians just in a year’s time do not happen in democratic societies,
- Honourable States do not instigate State-sponsored terrorism by sending their intelligence agents like Commander Kulbhushan Yadav of RAW to cause destruction and terrorism in the neighbouring countries.
- Civil Society is not attacked and stopped like Human Rights Defender Khurrum Pervaiz who was not allowed to attend these very Human Rights Council sessions.
- Human Dignity was dragged through the mud when an innocent person was used as human shield tied to the front of a military jeep by the occupying Indian forces and the perpetrator was awarded military medals in India.
- All this is substantiated by the report of India-based coalition of civil society, titled ‘Fact Finding Report of 25 Citizens Group’ which concluded that the actions of the Indian State in the Kashmir valley are far removed from the values of a democratic republic.
- India tragically has a Government that is following official cruelty and promoting fascistic behaviour amongst its masses. The terrible consequence is the wanton and unrestrained persecution of minorities including Christians, Dalits and Muslims.
I thank you
Statement by Ambassador Farukh Amil, Permanent Representative of Pakistan on behalf of OIC during the Clustered Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous people and the Expert mechanism on the rights of indigenous people – (36th Session of Human Rights Council) – 19 September2017