I have the honour to make the statement on behalf of Like-Minded Group of Countries. The complete list of the cosponsors would be shared on the extranet.
- Technical assistance and capacity building is one of the core functions of the Human Rights Council. It is an effective tool for constructive engagement and once tailored to states’ peculiar socioeconomic and cultural specificities and national priorities can have a transformative impact. We believe that providing technical assistance and capacity building of States is a prerequisite and necessary element for Prevention Agenda.
- We also believe that State driven engagement based on principles of impartiality, objectivity, non-politicization, can help in the national ownership and reap maximum benefits for all.
- Every State whether developed or developing faces its own peculiar challenges in the realization of basic human rights and therefore, there cannot be a ‘One Size Fits All Policy’. The OHCHR can fill in the gaps and provide technical expertise and financial resources to the member States only on their request and consent for the capacity building of their institutions to ensure better service delivery at grass root level.
- By focussing on the technical cooperation and capacity building, we can overcome any diversion towards polarization, confrontation and politicization of the Council. The discourse of naming and shaming needs to be abolished.
- We must adhere to the principles set forth in the UNGA resolution 60/251 and IB Package regarding the technical cooperation and capacity building.
- We would reiterate that technical cooperation must not be viewed as a tool for interference in the internal affairs and must be done in the spirit of strengthening State’s capacity on its request and consent to overcome human rights related challenges.
- The UN Voluntary Trust Fund for Technical Cooperation and the Voluntary Technical Assistance Trust Fund to Support Participation of LDCS and SIDS in the work of the Council play an important role in ensuring the universalization of the work of the Human Rights Council. It is important to utilize cross linkages with the 2030 Agenda and follow a transparent, credible and non-politicized program for technical cooperation so that we can actually succeed beyond slogans.
I thankyou Mr. President.
- Saudi Arabia,