Can there be a comparison between the oppressor and the oppressed? Can there be any justification for occupation? There can be only one answer to this, NO. Then how can Israel’s state sponsored terrorism be equated with the legitimate struggle of Palestinian people in the West Banks, including Jerusalem and Gaza and those living in Syrian Golan.
- In todays time and age, when the very thought of apartheid regimes and colonialism is incomprehensible. Israel appears not to believe in the UN Charter and its principles, neither adhering to international law nor respecting human dignity. Israel may believe in democracy for some but not for others barely existing under its rule. It continues to flout its international obligations with complete impunity and committing gross human rights violations in the Occupied Territories.
- One of the oldest disputes of UN Security, the illegal occupation of the Palestinian Territories and Syrian Golan by Israel remains a tragic tale with paralysis and lack of resolve by the international community.
- The illegal blockade as means of barbaric collective punishment of Gaza, illegal profiteering of international companies in the Occupied territories, the demolition of houses and forced annexations of land in occupied territories, discriminatory and degrading apartheid laws in the Israeli occupied territories are some of the issues that require the Council’s attention. We strongly condemn any action aimed at illegally strengthening Israeli control over Al-Haram Al-Sharif in Occupied East Jerusalem.
- If Israel thinks that it is being singled out by the international community, it must ask itself a very basic question, why? Granting the other dignity, freedom and democracy would be the noble way out of this morass. Israel must reflect on this with a kind heart, the human heart not unrelenting cruelty. Until Israel vacates the Occupation Territories, Agenda item 7 must be supported by all the member states in the spirit of basic humanity irrespective of political exigencies and affiliations.
- We urge the Council to take note of the numerous reports filled with verifiable evidences on the brutalities inflicted by Israel. The international community must play its part in condemning and ending the occupation and gross human rights violations and support the two state solution on the pre-1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital for ensuring viable peace in the region.
I thankyou Mr. President.