The Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action (VDPA) reaffirmed the commitment of international community for the respect, promotion and protection of all human rights and fundamental freedoms. It also chalked down the basic principles and elements in a balanced manner necessary for enhancing international cooperation and at the same time guaranteeing national ownership of the program for the realization of all human rights.
- We reiterate our conviction that all human rights are universal, indivisible and interdependent and interrelated. The international community must treat human rights globally in a fair and equal manner, on the same footing, and with the same emphasis.
- We consider that democracy, development and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms are interdependent and mutually reinforcing.Without achieving inclusive and equitable development both nationally and internationally, we cannot achieve our objective of “Leaving no one behind”. Pakistan has taken a number of initiatives for the implementation of VDPA including:
- China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), a project amounting more than 50 billion dollars is a unique example of international cooperation for the realization of right to development. CPEC will optimize the trade potential and enhance the energy security of the wider region directly benefiting three billion people, including, people from less developed areas of Pakistan.
- Special Economic Zones and new Economic Cities are being developed as part of CPEC creating livelihood and entrepreneurial opportunities for the people of Pakistan and the region without discrimination.
- The government has made adequate allocation under Public Sector Development Programe (PSDP) for provinces and less developed areas for increasing pace of development and progress. The present allocation of Rs 1000 billion under PSDP is the highest ever in the country’s history.
- 50% of loans under Prime Minister’s Youth Business Loan Scheme are earmarked specifically for women.
- Flagship program of Benazir Income Support Program is providing cash grants to 5.5 million women in poor households to improve women empowerment.
- The project “Provision of Higher Education Opportunities for Students of Balochistan and FATA Phase II (President’s Directives)” would be providing financial support to a total of 3900 students in Balochistan and FATA, thus showing our resolve for ensuring inclusive development.
I thankyou Mr. President.