OIC Statement delivered by Ambassador Farukh Amil, Permanent Representative of Pakistan during the 27th Session of HRC on the Human Rights situation of Rohingya Muslims and other minorities in Rakhine State of Myanmar
Mr. Vice President,
- The UN Security Council Agenda and its Resolutions remain clear and valid to this day. Dismissing those seeking self-determination as militants is ridiculous. It runs counter to everything the UN stands for. Right to Self-determination are partners each incomplete without the other.
- Citizens in Indian Occupied Kashmir have been on the receiving end of cruelty and injustice. With close to a hundred thousand martyred, a new generation of courageous Kashmiris is being martyred and blinded every day.
- This hateful cycle can only be stopped through a political dialogue otherwise we will condemn generation after generation of Kashmiris to agony and oppression. India´s national shame cannot be hidden in comfortable economic growth statistics. If political expediency and financial gain are the parameters of human civilization and human decency then heaven help everyone in this room.
Mr. Vice President,
- What have the great draconian laws achieved? Peace? Why are young Kashmiris battling on the streets? Why? India cannot stand in the way of technology. Blocking 22 Social media websites can only delay the inevitable for another day. Using innocents as human shields betrays a coward. Is there no shame?
- This is not about India or Pakistan. We are talking about human dignity. This is about the Kashmiris, their self-determination, their human rights and most of all their human dignity.
I thank you.
Statement by Ambassador Farukh Amil, Permanent Representative of Pakistan on behalf of OIC during the Clustered Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous people and the Expert mechanism on the rights of indigenous people – (36th Session of Human Rights Council) – 19 September2017