The Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action reiterated the importance of realization of economic, social and cultural rights, including the right to development. Right to development intertwines human rights and human needs and its fulfillment is essential for the realization of all rights. Pakistan is committed to implementing 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda through inclusive economic development and international cooperation for the realization of right to development by every citizen of the country. In this context:
- China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), a project amounting more than 50 billion for promoting economic, social and cultural rights including the right to development is a unique example of international cooperation for the realization of right to development. CPEC would help to ensure the enjoyment of right to development by fulfilling human needs and ensuring human rights of people without discrimination. CPEC will optimize the trade potential and enhance the energy security of the wider region directly benefiting three billion people, including, people from less developed areas of Pakistan.
- The Government aims to develop Special Economic Zones and new Economic Cities alongside of CPEC which would provide an opportunity to create livelihood and entrepreneurial opportunities for the people of Pakistan.
- The Government is also ensuring development of less developed areas of Pakistan.
- 18th Amendment for granting provincial autonomy and 7th NFC Award for equitable distribution of economic resources are being implemented.
- We are educating the youth and providing them employment opportunities. We are especially committed to provide people from our less developed areas greater access to education, economic resources, skills development and employment opportunities to make them equal partners in the economic development.
Pakistan reaffirms its commitment to “leave no one behind” in its pursuit of fulfillment of economic, social, cultural rights, including the right to development.
I thank you.